I am excited to finally launch my first day-long workshop. It’s been a long time coming and I hope to work with a group of educators to move this word forward. It’s my hope that we learn from each other and further strategize how to dismantle white supremacy culture in our spaces.
I have spent the last year using a framework of White Supremacy Culture (from Tema Okun) to explore how to transform schools. I have spent all my years in education, working to address WSC, but I just didn’t call it that. I am sure you have too. I first heard about this text from Jose Garcia, a New Tech Network Coach, and from Kristin Bijur, one of my colleagues in SFUSD, both in the same week.
We used the text to start conversations and frame the work we did together with the group of Superintendent Leadership Fellows from SFUSD. Over the past year, I have engaged various groups at my school, including my teacher leaders, my admin team, and my larger school staff.
In April, I was able to explore this topic with 33 educators, at the Deeper Learning Conference.
Lastly, Ive been working with a group of 20 SFUSD leaders bi-monthly to explore WSC in their schools and share progress.
Basically, its been on my mind and in my work all year. So now it’s time to take it to the next level.
I have never had enough time to truly dig in. I have a feeling that we need 2 days, but we will start with 1 and see if folks want to go deeper and continue this work.
Outcomes of the Workshop
- Start to plan a multi-year approach to Racial Equity inspired school transformation
- Become more familiar with 3 frameworks (white supremacy culture, white culture, and anti-racist continuum)
- Assessing how WSC is showing up in your work and organization
- Identify obstacles to addressing WSC and share best practices and resources with each other
- Build community with other folks taking up this deeper work
- Educators and Leaders at all levels (classroom, school, and district)
- Anyone who is interested in going deeper than diversity
- Highly effective for groups and teams from an organization but impactful for individuals as well
Time, Date, Cost
- Monday, June 17th
- $300 (includes food and materials)
Detailed Agenda and Location
- Coming Soon
Reservations and Questions:
- Register here: https://forms.gle/7Zhd7JzVfgqWrrsd6
- Email email@example.com for questions